Friday, June 24, 2011

A Letter To My Future Child

Hello.

I've been doing a lot to try and make the world better for you. But it has not been enough. I am sorry that things are the way they are, and I am partly responsible. The planet, politics and society are in quite a poor state and I should have done more to make them better.

I will try never to call you boy or girl, or son or daughter, but I think you should know that other people will. I am very happy for you to choose what kind of person you want to be, and also what kind of people you want to fall in love with one day. I should just let you know, though, that if the world is anything like it was when I was growing up, it will be a lot easier for you if you be what people expect you to be. I want you to be whoever you want to be. If you let society force you into trying to be something which is not right for you, it will make you unhappy. It will be hard for you but you will need to stick up to them. Find friends who understand and face them together. Know that I will be the first of those friends.

I am so sorry that you are paying for all the bad decisions made by other people before you were even born. Please don't despair, but instead do what I tried to do which is to forgive the past generations and try to rise up to meet the challenges. There will be successes and there will be failures, try not to be disheartened for too long. The world needs you too much for you to give up. Do not think that I don't care anymore just because I am older now. I promised myself when I was younger I would always keep on caring, keep on trying. Please remind me whenever I seem to be breaking that promise. For this I really need you.

I have been looking forward to your existence for a long time. I am going to make mistakes, I am sorry for that as well. But let's make it an adventure together, okay?

I love you.

Caleb
(Dad)

No comments:

Post a Comment