Friday, July 1, 2011

Texts from a Stranger

Hello internet.

It is not often I think that something that actually happens in my life is particularly worth recounting but something odd has been happening over the last couple of days. It started as radically as it continued: somebody called me by accident.

It had a country code that I didn't recognise. I heard a female voice, I think she wanted to talk to someone called Sean. I was not, at that moment, Sean. I got another missed call later from that self same number.

The interesting bit was the next day I got a text from her. We actually had a nice chat via texts, she was a college student from Canada but was calling from Nigeria. Thus the unrecognisable country code.

Now I am no snob but – no wait, I am a complete snob. Okay, but anyway, she had that habit of using impenetrable abbreviations, but because she was foreign and I had the novelty of having an actual conversation with someone who had contacted me inadvertently I found it fun and new and not irritating at all.

My point, if I ever get round to it, is that it is quite nice. She said she is going to call again, which I must admit is quite exciting. I have never had a pen friend, and this seems like a fantastic way to get one. I like the idea that we would all treat each other more like real people if maybe sometimes if someone comes to our house by mistake, or someone calls the wrong number, we could strike up a conversation. Maybe then we would feel more like a part of a community in our society which sometimes seems to be larger than human in scale.

One of the texts reads “Wow, ur really nice r u always like dis?”. So next time you call the wrong number, or someone calls you 'the wrong number', maybe have a chat and find out more about them. Maybe you too could be told that you are nice by someone!

Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment